Wednesday, September 25, 2024

THE SUFFICIENCY OF JESUS

 Just a brief thought.  In my devotions today there was a quotation “He asks too much to whom God is not sufficient.”*  Yes.
      I have commented before on poor billboard theology, “Jesus is the answer to all your problems.”  No!  Jesus neither solves nor takes away the problems of life.  He walks with us through them – sometimes carries us through them.  That is the sufficiency of God.
     The composer of Psalm 73 gave his testimony at the temple about how threatening it was to his faith to see unrighteous people boast about their violence and prosperity while he practiced righteousness and suffered (2-14).  But when he encountered the Presence of God (17) his perspective changed.  To paraphrase him: “When I saw past my bitter ignorance, I realized you are always with me holding my hand!” (21-23).  Rather than having all problems solved, he states, “My flesh and my heart will fail.  God is the strength of my heart and my security forever” (26).  That is to say, “God is sufficient for me!”  When I am discontent, I am the one not clinging to the Presence of Jesus.
      Lord, when I face the problems of life, open my eyes to see that you have me by my hand.  Amen.
--------------------
*Taken from Baillie, A Dairy of Private Prayer, Day 25, who quotes an unnamed source.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD IS NOT TO BE FOUND IN THE “WHY?” BUT IN THE “WHERE?”

In the midst of desolation and destruction, personal or widespread – I am in western NC where Hurricane Helene caused much devastation – God...