Thursday, March 14, 2024

“ENSISTENCE” MATTERS MORE THAN EXISTENCE

Sometimes the wondrous mysteries of life move me to worship.

We tend to think of our lives in terms of existence.  Existence means “out-stand.”  That is, the focus is on separation.  To coin a term, I have been thinking about my “ensistence” (in-stand).  The focus is on inclusion.  My life, all life, exists only become is “ensists.”

Big Bang: a quantum flux within a quantum vacuum led to the structure/information of waves that have different “particle” properties (concepts beyond me).  Point: they exist because they ensist in a quantum field of differentiations.

Jump to the level of life:  Once the process of enzymes forms peptides etc. (again beyond me) that leads to ability to draw on an energy source that leads to self-replicating informed structures.  Point: life exists, because it ensisted within that primitive biosphere (e.g. solar energy, solvent, chemical “soup”).

Jump to humans:  Humans have multiple layers of relationships of ensistence that allow them to exist (please forgive the coined words): en-quantum-fielded, en-mattered, en-bodied, en-natured (whole world of “nature”), en-social-relationshiped, en-cosmic-ordered, and theologically, I would add en-God (panentheism).  Moreover, it is the unique combination of each of those layers of ensistence that leads to each uniquely marvelous outcome of our existences.

Cognition: The nature of cognition is so incredible.  Cognition is not just a function of my brain.  It is embodied in my total neural system through which I experience the world.  It becomes extended as my body interfaces with external objects (e.g. use a tennis racket or hammer long enough and the neural system treats it like a member of the body).  It dwells embedded in my physical, cultural, and linguistic systems (e.g. I “think” in English).  More significantly, I believe my cognition ensists within the “mind” of God such that a “seeking” person can be informed by and moved by God -- can know God.

Wow.  I’m at a loss for words.  My eyes are starting to tear.

Thank you, Lord, that I am a part of all this, that I “ensist.”  Help me to care responsibly for all the spheres of my ensistence without which I would not exist.  Amen.

P.S.  Kant, thinking he is addressing a human limitation when he states, "It is quite impossible for a human being to apprehend the infinite by his senses,"* is actually foisting a human limitation upon God in whom we "have our being" (Acts 17:28).  *The Conflict of the Faculties, 7:63.

2 comments:

  1. A powerful and inspiring concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouraging words, Sharyn. I had second thoughts about posting this reflection.

    ReplyDelete

BLOOD OF CHRIST: CLEANSING FROM “SIN”

  The author of 1 John, whichever John that is, thinks Christians should sin no more: “My children, these things I write to you in order tha...