Thursday, March 7, 2024

LENT: THE SHAME OF THE CROSS: WOUNDED PRIDE, THE GOOD WOUND

Lent is a good time for wounded pride.  There is a theme in the Book of Ezekiel, a rather overlooked theme, that ties in with Lent. 

Background:  The people of Judah, in a prideful and nationalistic way, had believed that they somehow had a hold on God, much like our slogans, “One nation under God,” and “In God we trust.”  [I am not suggesting that the US is a godly nation or a theocracy.  It is neither.  The Kingdom of God is never subordinate to or contained in human government.  The rule of God is in this world but not of this world.]  The people of Judah believed God would always bless and protect them.  But the reality was that they had abandoned God and profaned His temple, the place that symbolized God was in their midst.   As a result, God removed His glory, His presence, from the temple and from them (Ezek 10:18 – 19, the reversal of 1Kings 8:10 – 11).  Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed by the Babylonians, and the survivors became exiles in Babylonia. 

Overlooked Theme:  The often-overlooked theme is wounded pride.  Despite the failure of the people of God, the prophet Ezekiel tells them that for the sake of God’s holy name God would save a remnant of people, would bring them back, and would allow them to rebuild the temple to which His glory would return.  Not only that, God would also remove their hard, stone-like heart and give them a new soft, flesh-like heart, putting a new spirit in them (Ezek 36:22 – 30).  However, when this happens, the people would respond in humility.  Such a gracious restoration would always remind them how they had failed to walk faithfully with the Holy God of Israel.  They would recognize their wickedness that had led to such consequences, and the recognition of the the magnitude of God’s goodness would wound their pride (36:31 – 32; 16:62 – 63). 

Point:  All the more, the season of Lent ought to bring me to a sense of wounded pride.  I am not talking about self-pity, but about a healthy, penetrating realization.  It is a good wound, like the wound of a needed surgery.  God loves me so much that God humiliates God-self to take the form of a human, live a life of service, and die for the sake of the ultimate offer of forgiveness and restoration -- for me, for a created one who thinks he can live in prideful waywardness from my Creator.  I am going to rejoice on Easter Sunday over the triumph of Jesus’ resurrection and the new life that has become mine in Him.  But that resurrection was preceded by the Cross, and the cause of the Cross was me.  The Cross that was meant as shameful death for Jesus, is a symbol of my shame.

Lord, I need my pride wounded.  May I always remember that I did not get a hold of you; rather, you restored me to your Presence despite my unworthiness.  May I never take for granted that you are holy and that you have called me into a new life that befits your holy character.  May I never lose the shame of the Cross that fatally wounds my pride and self-sufficiency.  Amen.

1 comment:

BLOOD OF CHRIST: CLEANSING FROM “SIN”

  The author of 1 John, whichever John that is, thinks Christians should sin no more: “My children, these things I write to you in order tha...