Friday, July 19, 2024

CONFESSION IS IMPERATIVE: WHY?

 I read the following statement in a devotion today, “Nothing new happens without apology and forgiveness.”#  The subject was confession.  (“Confession” both in the OT and NT has the basic sense of acknowledging something.)  I suppose most Christians are familiar with, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1John 1:9).  Why is confession imperative?  It is necessary for cleansing/forgiveness.

I was reminded of a mystery of the OT atonement system, about which I wrote earlier.*  In that system, the symbolic pollution of non-high-handed” (inadvertent) sins that impedes relationship with God may be purified and the relationship restored through God’s forgiveness.  “High-handed” (deliberate) sins cannot be addressed.  Technically, a purification offering cannot be made for them, so there is no forgiveness.  However, once the people confess their sins, then a purification offering becomes acceptable!  (See Lev 5:5-6a).  The mechanism of confession is not discussed.  (Numbers and Leviticus often relate what is done in a ritual but not why, probably because the actions were grounded in a cultural symbolism system that was apparent to the Israelites.)  The amazing implication, though, is that confession “reduces” the level of sin so that it can be addressed through the atonement system.  The above observation lends itself to speculate on the theology of confession. 

From my experience, the psychological aspect of confession sheds light on the theological.  I recall an experience as a young Christian.  I was a passenger in a car trip with a friend whom I knew I had offended.  I knew I needed to apologize and ask for forgiveness, but I just could not get the words out.  The drive went on and on in silence.  Each time I was determined to speak, it was too hard.  It felt almost self-destructive.  Finally, when I did speak up, there was an immense sense of relief, and a healing of our relationship.  That effort actually was self-destructive – in a good sense.  I would propose this analogy.  My “heart” (the OT sense includes self-awareness, conscience, reflection, and volition) was “hardened” by layers of accreted callouses.  My act of confession, in which I acknowledge my sin and asked for forgiveness, was an act of tearing away a layer of the callouses of a hardened heart.  It hurt; but, this act opened my heart a little more to the Presence of God.

The theological implication to me is that the unrepentant heart of the person who commits deliberate sins is not in a state that allows for relationship with God.  God is full of grace and mercy and willing to restore relationship, but it takes two people in accord for a healthy relationship to take place.  The person who is truly repentant, a state present when confession is sincere, has the kind of heart that is necessary, one that submits itself in entrustment to God.  God always honors that "soft" heart and responds with forgiveness and restoration.  So, the statement that caught my attention today is correct, “Nothing new happens without apology and forgiveness.”  Confession results in something new, a new state of one’s heart and a new openness to restored relationships.

Lord, Jesus, I recognize that confession is imperative in my life to continue to walk with you.  It is hard for me to do.  I confess that I am daily prone to wander from you and at times deliberately do what is contrary to your will.  Expose all of those times by the light of the Holy Spirit.  Make me as uneasy as the time I spent in the car with my friend.  I want to see and acknowledge all of those transgressions before you.  I want to stay close to you. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Rod! This is so important. Twelve-steppers learn this and its power to set the captive free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both awe inspiring and comforting to those who know Jesus; knowing that we are part of His eternal kingdom now (Luke 1:33, Daniel 4:3, Palms 102:27 and 145:13, Isaiah 9:17, etc.). Thank you, Rodney.

    ReplyDelete

GOD IS NOT TO BE FOUND IN THE “WHY?” BUT IN THE “WHERE?”

In the midst of desolation and destruction, personal or widespread – I am in western NC where Hurricane Helene caused much devastation – God...